The snare drum is simply astounding. It plays a huge role in bringing the song to life. It adds energy and a significant amount of backbeat. So, shouldn’t you ensure that you ace the recording? Of course!
Any lax in the recording will fail to capture the beauty of the snare drum. And you will run the risk of producing music that’s not very satisfying. That’s why you need a snare mic.
The market has a plethora of options for you, and you must make a choice based on the headroom, microphone type, microphone size, directional pattern, and other such technical factors. Only then will you be able to do justice to the snare drum. In this article, we shall explore the best snare mic of 2020, keeping various parameters in mind. We invite you to choose freely!
Best Snare Mic
1. Sennheiser E604 Dynamic Cardioid for Snare and Toms
Sennheiser is an audiophile’s dream! It is one of the leading manufacturers of products related to music, and thankfully, it doesn’t disappoint even when it comes to a mic for snare and toms. This Amazon’s Choice product has a lot to offer including (but not limited to) the below:
- It can easily handle more than 150 dB SPL.
- It is a low distortion mic.
- It has a compact design that makes it very easy to use and position. You don’t need a lot of space for it!
- Its fiberglass body makes it very sturdy and reliable. However, we always advise that you exercise caution while using your mic.
- It handles noise very well and has low sensitivity to impact.
- The manufacturers offer a 10-year warranty as well.
- It is a brilliant option for woodwind instruments, brass, and close-mic drums.
- It comes with a drum clip for easy attachment to the drum.
2. Shure PGA56-XLR Cardioid Microphone with Mount
Here’s another excellent microphone from Shure, specifically designed for those who want a cheaper option. It is Amazon’s Choice for a variety of reasons, a few of which we have enlisted here:
- It is available in two models: with cable and without. You have the freedom to choose!
- It is tailored to reproduce the sound perfectly.
- It works on a cardioid polar pattern thanks to which it has the ability to reject any unwanted noise and focus only on the source.
- The mic comes with a drum mount, eliminating the need for a stand.
- The mic has a black metallic finish and grille. They ensure that the mic easily blends in and does not look like an eyesore.
- To facilitate easy transport and storage, the manufacturers have also given a storage pouch for the mic.
- It has a swivel joint that makes positioning a piece of cake.
- You can use the mic for percussion, tom, and snare drum applications.
3. Heimu Snare/Tom Microphone
Do you have a small drum? Are you looking for a mic that complements the size? The Heimu microphone is perfect for you. The manufacturers give various options such as big drum mic, small drum mic, condenser mic, and the whole set. While the main features are the same, the nuances may be different. Here are a few things you should know about the small drum mic:
- It is a dynamic mic with a moving coil.
- It offers a stunning visual presence thanks to its black metallic finish.
- It has the ability to capture various sounds flawlessly, including the hand drum, kick drums, toms, and snare.
- It is your answer to all your close-mic needs because it has compact drum microphones.
- It can also capture low-end punches.
- It offers a flat response and is suitable for cymbal & overhead reproduction.
- The mic comes with drum mounts that are compatible with most drum rims out there.
4. MXL A5s Microphone for Snare Drum
Say hello to yet another amazing snare mic! It is affordable and reliable at the same time, making it the perfect choice for you. But what else does it offer? Keep reading to find out:
- It has the capability of ambient rejection, ensuring that you record only the source.
- It is a high SPL, dynamic, cardioid mic.
- It captures percussion and snare sounds with an amazing frequency response.
- Its metal body protects it from noise and impact.
- The mount can pivot to help you adjust the mic as per your needs.
- The mounting clip is just as reliable as the mic itself.
5. Nady DM70 Microphone
We are going to round this list off with one of the most affordable options out there. The Nady Microphone comes with a rubber mount that’s easy to use and stays in place even for long durations. It has a wide range of features that make it worth every penny. Let’s go through a few of them:
- It captures brass, woodwind, percussion, snares, and toms with the utmost ease.
- It has a moving coil, a transformer-less design that allows fast response.
- It has the ability to allow 145 dB SPL without any fear of distortion. It works in the same way, even with loud drums.
- It has a neodymium element that minimizes bleed-through.
- It comes with an internal shock mount that prolongs its life thanks to the added durability.
- You can use it for live performances as well as studio recordings.
While choosing the best snare mic of 2020, you must remember that there’s no one-size-fits-all rule here. Granted that there are many different options, but each of them serves a specific purpose that you should be aware of. This will help make a choice easily and quickly. If you are unsure about the right one for you, feel free to ask us! We are looking forward to your queries and suggestions.